Tuesday, January 13, 2009

From Portland to Portland

One of my favorite set of non-human photos would have to be the Portland to Portland because 3000 miles apart is all right there.


See, over 2008 I shot weddings from Portland Maine to Portland Oregon. (one of the reasons I feel so lucky to be doing what I do) And with the journey of every wedding there are other photos that just happen. I won't go into long detail but I thought it would be fun to share pictures from the coast of Portland Maine to the Coast of Portland Oregon. And just about the only thing that seems to be the same is rocks. Both coasts have rocks. Outside of that, yea, pretty much nothing.


Portland Maine, the water seems to be a different colour, it's like there's more movement, a harsher movement keeping things from being settled. There are rocks of all shapes and sizes, harsh and ragged or round and covered with growth of so many kinds, cold to the touch, slick to the step. The coast is low and long and just fades into the ocean where the waves crash at an unconsistant pace....






Portland Oregon, the water is blue, a blue like no other. Not a crystal clear blue but a deep blue that just wants to draw you in. The waves roll in with a perfect smooth energy where they meet the soft sandy beaches or washed smooth rocks... And the coast falls off cliffs into the water. 200 foot drops or 70 foot tall rock formations are forming just into the water....







Is one better than the other? Maybe to some. For me, I can't choose for each is so different and holds so much greatness. I may just have to do it all over again....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love these photos. Makes me miss the beach. Good action shots :)